Wednesday 5 March 2014

Courtney's Cosplay Confession: Day 1

Day 1: HOW I GOT INTO THIS

I was at the Comic Book Shoppe working on some Capital Geek Girls  stuff with editor/founder Jordan and writers MJ and Jenn.  The topic of cosplay harassment and Cosplay is not Consent came up and I admitted that I had a cosplay I wanted to try, but was scared of the comments I would get.

As some of you may have noticed from my bio, writers card, or if youve met me in person, I absolutely adore the show Torchwood. It has become one of my go to comfort programming options and I am likely to recommend it at any opportunity. Did I mention my laptop is named Toshiko? Since last years Comiccon Ive thought about what I would cosplay as, if I could, and one characters name pops into my head more than any other: Gwen Cooper. A former police constable who finds herself chasing aliens with Captain Jack Harkness while trying to hold together some semblance of a normal life with her in-the-dark-for-his-own-good partner Rhys. Gwens not the most popular person in Torchwood fandom but Ive always found something in her story that spoke to me. I also happen to adore the actress that portrays her, Eve Myles.  A butt-kicking brunette with great style who personally inspires me? Why wouldnt I cosplay  as her?

Because Gwen Cooper looks like this: 



And I look like this: 



This is where that lovely little voice in my head comes to remind me that Im not going to look like Gwen because unless I go on The Biggest Loser until Comiccon I am not going to magically shrink in half. I see every negative comment I have ever read on a cosplay review board or Facebook group flash before my eyes. If I cant find a screen accurate biker jacket with zipped pockets in a size 22/24 why should I bother?  If Im not going to do it right should I do it at all? 

According to my fellow CGGs the answer to that question is a resounding Yes.  With their help, and probably a good dose of caffeine from time to time,  Im going to attempt to leave my baggage behind and rock this Comiccon, Cardiff-style.
  

66 Days to Go.

[Editor's note: I think Courtney is amazing. The idea that she would have held off trying out cosplay based on snarky comments hurts my heart. I am super excited to support her on this adventure, and I hope you all will, too. -Jordan]

Courtney Lockhart lives in the west end of Ottawa with her husband and step-cat.  She is polishing her skills to pursue one of her dream careers as either a costume drama character, Torchwood operative or executive assistant to a billionaire vigilante. You can follow her daily mission to DFTBA on Twitter @corastacy.

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could have been with you this weekend. You should totally do it Courtney! I understand where you're coming from completely. While there's no one in particular I've ever want to cosplay, just the thought of me doing it results in the same feelings. I wish I was going to be in town during Comicon, because I would love to be there to support you. You can do it!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...